Monday 19 November 2012

ALGOMA: WHERE RAVEN PLAYS Part III


The Raven (Part III)

Time passes, as time does.

One morning, in twilight’s stillness
Raven wakened with a start.
Weak, and tired, from journeys endless,
he sensed his end was near.

Once more he summoned up his strength,
and soared to heights he'd long forgotten.
Raven soared on raging winds, high above a shining sea,
to a place with rushing rivers, worn mountains, and tall fir trees.
To the land of Gichigami.

And in this place of solitude Raven remembered,
quiet moments, and memories long forgotten.
With failing breath, and dimming vision,
Raven’s spirit soared.

Now Raven’s spirit lingers in those places,
where once he wheeled and soared.
Impressions made upon those encountered,
will live, forever more. 

~ EAS ~












I've chosen to not add captions to the watercolour paintings and graphite drawings attached to this posting as they're really quite self explanatory, all being my interpretations of the Algoma District landscape, the land north of Gichigami, better known to most everyone as Lake Superior. There are a lot more sketches in the folders, but I believe that these few provide some idea of the incredible beauty that exists up that way.

As it's becoming more and more difficult as I age to climb to the top of the hills to reach the outlooks I'm going to call a halt to my sketching and painting north of Gichigami making way for those much younger to follow in the steps of the Group of Seven.

I've had a good go of it exploring Algonquin, Killarney, Algoma, a bit of Western Canada, and some of the American Southwest. I've made a lot of original prints, sketches, and paintings, and produced several books. 


Time to catch up on my notes and to take some of my sketches to the next level..............



No comments:

Post a Comment