Thursday 8 January 2015

BASIC BLACK: 41/4 X 6 (Part Four)

It should be noted that Basic Black: 41/4 X 6 was but one of my sketchbooks. I’ve employed numerous sketchbooks of all sizes over the years to help me to record ideas for future drawings, prints, and paintings. Much of what I recorded never materialized as finished works. Some sketches led to further sketches before reaching my work area to be transformed into prints and paintings. Sketching is a wonderful way to explore ideas, as well as various  papers and mediums without, as I pointed out in a previous posting, fearing critique. It’s a wonderful way to explore your creativity and to learn to draw.

From time to time I run into someone who is quick to tell me that they can't draw. Sadly, once you erect the "can't" barrier you probably never will learn to draw. The fact of the matter is that no one is born with the ability to draw, it's  a learned discipline. Some may learn more quickly than other, but none the less drawing is something that you must learn, and it all begins with a single mark on a piece of paper and quiet observation. Not unlike any discipline learning to draw does not come easy and the sooner you make marks on a piece of paper, the sooner you will learn how to draw.

We're coming to the end of Basic Black. The sketches that it contained were done over a period of years, and if you look carefully you will observe progress in my drawing/sketching ability. Needless to say, I'm still learning.

























This sketch was something from memory. There was a blank page at the end of the sketchbook, and I couldn't let it go to waste. Lumsden Lake is in Killarney Provincial Park. Wishful thinking on my part. We used to do a lot of hiking and canoeing up in Killarney Provincial Park. Unfortunately, time has a way of catching up with one's health, and I'm no longer able to hike long distances and climb to the top of high hills. So, there's a message here do what you can while your young. Fill up those sketchbooks with memories. Good for the soul during a long cold winter.

Since I've bored everyone to bits with my sketches I'm, once again, going to take a break from posting to craft another book. As to its title, I thrashed about with Shades of Grey, A Quiet Solitude, Whispering Wings and Other Things, then thought what about Time Spent, and then I thought what about............. So, I'm working on putting together a large book of sketches from here, there, and everywhere, together with some writing, some poetry, and so on. Heaven only knows when it will be finished, so check back from time to time and I'll let you know the outcome of my efforts.

Best wishes everyone.....and keep sketching.

No comments:

Post a Comment